Stop losing! Start gaining!
Here are some practical steps on how to change body composition;
1. Stop trying to lose weight. It’s actually an impossibility to lose weight. Energy can only be transformed not lost and fat is just stored energy. Change our language change our lives! The diet industry is producing a merry go round designed to line their pockets. They know 95% of diets don’t and entice people back, probably heavier, to buy the new and latest diet, pill, potion, exercise regime, book etc. etc. However, body composition can be changed by burning fat and gaining muscle.
2. Get rid of the word “diet”. A diet is simple what is eaten so in effect everyone is on a diet. Adopt healthy eating habits ones that can live with for the rest of our lives. Once again change our language, change our lives.
3. Ask yourself why you are doing this. Get deep here and write down your main “why”. Could be that you don’t want to die of a heart attack or you want to walk your daughter down the aisle, not get diabetes, play with you grandchildren. Make it powerful and honest.
4. Write down 7 things you are going to gain from your change. Such as; better range of motion, more energy, being able to play with the kids, greater self-esteem, looking good nude or with your shirt off, etc, etc. be really honest.
5. Learn basic nutritional science from reputable sources. Be informed don’t go on hearsay and become knowledgeable. Stop believing all the rubbish out there. Some good sites include; www.precisionnutrition.com/http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/http://daa.asn.au/for-the-public/https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/
6. Pick a sensible a sensible nutritional program, not a fad diet, something you can live with for an extended period of time 12-24 months, you may change as you learn more, or the rest of your life. Could be vegan, paleo, fasting but something that is healthy that promotes eating highly nutritious meals. Mainly based around vegetables and stopping junk food and empty calories. Look at the portion guides attached.
7. Exercise. I could go for ever here are 10 major benefits. Physical activity helps you live longer and prevents many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, abnormal blood lipid (cholesterol and triglyceride) profile, stroke, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and colon and breast cancers. Improves cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness. Raises your metabolism and helps burn fat more easily. Reduce stress, anxiety, and depression and improves mood. Helps maintain brain function in older adults. Helps with digestion and promotes regular bowel movements. Increases bone density. Age more gracefully by maintaining looks agility. Improves sleep quality. Improves overall quality of life.
8. Get a good night’s sleep. There are many correlations between bad sleep and fat gains. Just a few are. Bad hormone balance, including elevated cortisol levels, sleep controls eating habits by pushing towards high sugary carbs for energy, sleep changes fat cells and much more.
9. Stress less. Once again that cortisol word springs up. Cortisol stimulates fat and carbohydrate metabolism for fast energy, stimulates insulin release and maintenance of blood sugar levels. Increases appetite. Learn to meditate and other stress leaving techniques. After all we are all going to end up in the box, so what’s the point. BE Happy, DON’T Worry.
10. Take body fat measurements. Take physical measurements and pictures of the body. Use sites like http://www.calculator.net/army-body-fat-calculator.html
11. Set S.M.A.R.T goals. (http://www.halogensoftware.com/au/learn/how-to/writing-smart-goals.) These should be based around body composition, your 7 gains and your “why” NOT just what the scales say!
12. Keep records. Record weight as guide. More important though is body measurement, body composition and feelings.
13. Shout it out. Tell everyone; post it on Facebook, twitter, Instagram and any other social media.
14. Be accountable. Friends and family will help; they love you and want you around. Ask them for their support.